Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When do you think it's inappropriate to use an ecig?
I obviously use mine at home or in my car, but I'm always hesitant about where I use it in public.

One of my friends has pretty bad asthma, so just the smell of the stronger liquids can set him off and have him going for his inhaler. My uncle also has a hard time breathing when he's around strong smells, so I try to avoid it when I'm around him, too.

Compared to cigarettes, they obviously don't put off as much of a smell, but it seems like some people really have no regard for their surroundings when using these.

For example, a guy in one of my classes think it's perfectly okay to whip his ecig out and puff away on it, in the middle of class. It's fine the first few times he does it, but he doesn't seem to realize it does leave a cloud hanging around.

I've also seen people do it in the movie theater, where it's really easy to notice the cloud of vapor just hanging above everyone. The smell isn't that noticeable, but I still don't really care for it.

I try to just ask myself, "Would I smoke a cigarette here?" and if it's obviously a non-smoking area, I don't use it. It's easy enough to take a quick hit off of if I need it, but I don't find that happening too often.
I suppose it's not appropiate to smoke at an asthma support meeting.
Quote:For example, a guy in one of my classes think it's perfectly okay to whip his ecig out and puff away on it, in the middle of class. It's fine the first few times he does it, but he doesn't seem to realize it does leave a cloud hanging around.

I think this is the type of person who is simply doing it because he wants to prove that he can. As in, he knows he wouldn't smoke in the same situation, but because it's not illegal to do it inside, he's doing it for the sheer sake of doing it.

My general philosophy on this is "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it." So for me, no, I don't think they should necessarily be used in public close quarters. That being said, I also don't think people should spray perfume while sitting at the dinner table in a restaurant either, but that doesn't mean they won't still sometimes do it anyway.
At a burial or a wedding. Also near someone who has lung problems.
Jessi Wrote:
Quote:For example, a guy in one of my classes think it's perfectly okay to whip his ecig out and puff away on it, in the middle of class. It's fine the first few times he does it, but he doesn't seem to realize it does leave a cloud hanging around.

I think this is the type of person who is simply doing it because he wants to prove that he can. As in, he knows he wouldn't smoke in the same situation, but because it's not illegal to do it inside, he's doing it for the sheer sake of doing it.

My general philosophy on this is "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do it." So for me, no, I don't think they should necessarily be used in public close quarters. That being said, I also don't think people should spray perfume while sitting at the dinner table in a restaurant either, but that doesn't mean they won't still sometimes do it anyway.

You hit the nail on the head there. He does it because he can and thinks he can get away with it.

I definitely agree that people shouldn't spray perfume out like that. I actually wish they'd just make it a law that if your perfume smells too strong, you have to go back home. Especially with older ladies... sometimes they just don't notice, but it gives me a really bad headache when it's that overpowering.
Takedon Wrote:I suppose it's not appropiate to smoke at an asthma support meeting.

Well, this is one good example. But I'm sure no one would do it.
When you're in the hospital or near someone who has breathing problems.
Wow, you really need a lot of common sense to smoke next to somebody with lung problems!
Or you just need to be an insensitive and ignorant person.
I just think the more stupid people who abuse being able to smoke an e-cig where you normally wouldn't smoke a cigarette, is going to end up having more laws placed on them. I don't really understand it, honestly. I can go to Walmart and shop around without needing a cigarette break. I certainly can handle buying groceries without puffing away on my e-cig.

It just takes one person to piss someone off, and then we all get it taken away.