Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactions in Public to E-cigs?
Well, I have had many friendly comments while using my vape in the streets of Boston, MA. But I have also had many nasty comments by ignorant people who probably know nothing or minimal info about vapes.

I've had people come up to me saying straight up that I will die of cancer and "smoking" is bad for you.
yes, smoking is bad for you. But vaping? Of course not. Especially when there is no chance of second hand smoke or that disgusting smell that cigarettes bring when lit.

Other comments have been along the lines of: "Wow, that's so cool" or "And it's not even a gross cigarette! It smells great"

So people have their different opinions but yes i have received good and bad feedback while using my vape in a public place.
2times Wrote:Well, I have had many friendly comments while using my vape in the streets of Boston, MA. But I have also had many nasty comments by ignorant people who probably know nothing or minimal info about vapes.

I've had people come up to me saying straight up that I will die of cancer and "smoking" is bad for you.
yes, smoking is bad for you. But vaping? Of course not. Especially when there is no chance of second hand smoke or that disgusting smell that cigarettes bring when lit.

Other comments have been along the lines of: "Wow, that's so cool" or "And it's not even a gross cigarette! It smells great"

So people have their different opinions but yes i have received good and bad feedback while using my vape in a public place.

Lucky you! Still, I don't get why people call cigarettes "gross". Most of them look pretty classy while smoking, so I don't see any problem here. I think they usually tend to overreact like this.
I work in a university and just last week my colleague entered my office all fired up and saying, there's a guy smoking in the corridor (it's forbidden to smoke indoors of course). So I stood up to take a look and it was an e-cigarette, no big deal. I think people should see that if a smoker is trying to smoke great for him and for everyone and e-cigarettes give a great help no doubt!
I think most of the time nowadays people will be quite understanding about you using an e-cig in public. This being said though, a lot of people don't know a lot about e-cigs, or may not even realising you're using one. With this in mind, it's definitely best to be safe and adhere to normal smokers' etiquette, even if it doesn't really seem necessary. This is all the more necessary these days when you can get devices which look so much like ordinary cigarettes and cigar, and people probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
I think if you don't mind explaining every couple of minutes that it's just an e-cig, it's probably ok.
There is still some surprise from people who never seen one before, for example like Peninha says, the look amazed at first to see someone smoking indoor and than they realize that it's an e-cigarette lol.

At the same time it's also a sign of prestige I believe because we see many celebrities using them and this makes them being associated with something cool. Great! 8-)
I live in Canada, so I don't know if my personal experience will be useful or not, since I don't know where you live. But here, I have had, honestly, not a single problem with reactions in in public. I have vaped while walking through the mall, in movie theaters, and even at my college. So I donno if it's just that I'm getting lucky, or that my appearance might ward people off (I'm 6'4" haha and a big beard and tattoos), but I have had no problems as of yet! Big Grin
LOL Leeaks, so you're not a good example, 6'4'', beard and tattoos I think that the fact that you are vaping is the most common thing in you! :p Even so, you never noticed no one looking twice at you because you are "smoking" inside the mall for example?
I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't vape somewhere in public. I did once get asked to put out my cigarette, but I was using an NJOY ecig and they do admittedly look a lot like the real thing. I'm not allowed to use my vape at work, but since I'm the custodian, I just use it in offices that are empty.
Dunkelweizen Wrote:I've never had anyone tell me I couldn't vape somewhere in public. I did once get asked to put out my cigarette, but I was using an NJOY ecig and they do admittedly look a lot like the real thing. I'm not allowed to use my vape at work, but since I'm the custodian, I just use it in offices that are empty.

Yeah, there's no way they can tell you not to vape in public because it's not illegal and it's not smoke, so you're not disturbing anyone. As for work lol, that's understandable, we should not be working and vaping at the same time, for some reason it doesn't seem right. Smile
It's becoming more and more commonplace every day. I find in general most people know of e-cigs or what they are. So now when you use one people just sort of expect it. Especially where I live in a college town, tons of people use them. I was just saying the other day how funny e-cigs would have looked back in the 70's. I mean, some of the more advanced ones look like lightsabers or something, and we're saying, "Yeah, it's a digital cigarette that dispenses nicotine in a stream of heated water vapor".

That sounds straight out of Star Wars, but we think it's normal.