Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FDA Says E-Cigs Attract Kids?!
Quote:The U.S. Food and Drug Administration proposed rules on Thursday that would ban the sale of e-cigarettes to anyone under 18, but would not restrict flavored products, online sales or advertising, which public health advocates say attract children.

...Um, what? On what planet would kids be attracted to vaping? I doubt kids would even know what vaping is? Confusedhock:

Also, why is the FDA now being all anti-vaping? What spurred this on? And who are these "public health advocates"?

Here's the original article
I actually was shocked to learn that a lot of kids that my 17 year old goes to school with are attracted to them because of all the various cool looking devices you can buy. They also are into the vapor tricks, i think at the moment the huge boost in popularity of these devices is making vaping so visible that teens are just gravitating to it.

I read somewhere that the FDA was tasked with coming up with proposed regulation a few years ago but it's just now happening because of all the pressure from companies and organizations that stand to be negatively affected by a reduction in the number of people purchasing tobacco products.

And I like to think that whenever I see "public health advocates" they are just referring to ANTS (Anti Nicotine & Tobacco Zealots) lol
The is a lot of money to be made with e cigs and vaping I suspect the current regulatory holes are big enough you can drive a full size transport truck through them.

The kids are always who politician and bureaucrats claim to be protecting because no one in their right mind would make an argument that selling smokes to kids is a good move.
Well, for them vaping is just a fad, the newest "trend". It looks bad-ass, and it's also a new innovation, so they believe it's something that would make you look "cool" for using it. They think of it as they think of smartphones and such. It's just totally wrong.
derailed Wrote:Well, for them vaping is just a fad, the newest "trend". It looks bad-ass, and it's also a new innovation, so they believe it's something that would make you look "cool" for using it. They think of it as they think of smartphones and such. It's just totally wrong.

I have to agree with you. It is probably all about the trend. People start to really get in touch with this new technology, and so are the youngsters. This may be a cause for concern, because, even though vaping is not necessarily about nicotine, kids could very well pick up a bottle of high nicotine concentration and vape that instead of 0 mg liquid.
It also depends on what you are calling "kids."

For the older ones who will actually be using them such as 17 year olds, then sure, it might be about the trendiness.

But for the younger ones who are actually "kids," I've read that it's about the flavors. They see and smell the fruity or sweet smells and they want it. It's like candy to their minds and so they end up ingesting it if the bottles aren't kept up or don't have safety caps on them.
ChrisA Wrote:
derailed Wrote:Well, for them vaping is just a fad, the newest "trend". It looks bad-ass, and it's also a new innovation, so they believe it's something that would make you look "cool" for using it. They think of it as they think of smartphones and such. It's just totally wrong.

I have to agree with you. It is probably all about the trend. People start to really get in touch with this new technology, and so are the youngsters. This may be a cause for concern, because, even though vaping is not necessarily about nicotine, kids could very well pick up a bottle of high nicotine concentration and vape that instead of 0 mg liquid.

Yeah, and it's sad that most of them would eventually start smoking because of this new trend.
This is the same thing people said about cigarettes. And for the same reason, too. Kids think it's cool, they think cigarettes make them look badass, and that they're getting away with something illegal. So of course when vaping becomes popular, kids will get all over that thinking since it's some new "trend" that they're going to be super cool for doing it and introducing it to other kids.

Just how these things are Sad
I agree. A lot of children are using them just because they look 'cool'.
Yeah, but I remember when I started smoking, for the same reason, because it was the newest "trend" back then.